PDA

View Full Version : Job openings

sasquatch
May 8th, 2011, 8:16 AM
I realize this is the KISD thread, but I figure that's who might be interested. For those of you RIF'ed, CTCS in Temple has a few opening in elementary for next year. Just know you WILL make a lot less, but you most definitely will be rewarded and respected.

Black Jack
May 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM
What is CTCS?

Yve
May 8th, 2011, 11:19 AM
guess: Central Texas Christian School?

HS Teacher 5
May 8th, 2011, 1:03 PM
That's what I would think. Here's the link to their website. http://www.ctcslions.com/

I was curious about the size of the school (629 students k-12) and it seems to have quite a few faculty members (85). Not all have Bachelor's degrees, but most do. It's not a diverse faculty from the looks of it and the school doesn't advertise any accreditations.

Grammar Rules
May 8th, 2011, 1:04 PM
Correct. Nice people, good kids, and only a few minutes from Killeen on FM 93 between Belton and Temple.

CenTexDave
May 8th, 2011, 1:07 PM
And they even have a football stadium!!!

corgifan
May 8th, 2011, 2:13 PM
I wonder if they'd hire an agnostic, a Jew, or any other religion other than Christian.

Texas Immigrant
May 8th, 2011, 2:33 PM
I wonder if they'd hire an agnostic, a Jew, or any other religion other than Christian.

That's what public schools are for. :duck:

Scarlett
May 8th, 2011, 2:40 PM

What sense would that make?

Grammar Rules
May 8th, 2011, 4:32 PM
My friend looked into it for her children three or four years ago and decided against it because she, as a parent, would have been required to sign an affirmation that she accepted the Bible as literally true.

And yes, the right to teach what they choose is one of the distinctions that makes private school either a good fit or not for some.

Scarlett
May 8th, 2011, 5:19 PM
I went to a Christian School from k-5th grade. (surprised?)

The Bible WAS our science book.
The Bible WAS our spelling book.
The Bible WAS our history book.

Needless to say, I know the Bible. I understand the Bible. I can tell you every Bible story and quote scripture like a preacher. But they never succeeded in making me necessarily BELIEVE everything was the literal truth.

HS Teacher 5
May 8th, 2011, 7:43 PM
I have a friend that retired a few years ago from a successful career in public schools and thought he'd look in to teaching at the local private religious schools. He's not a member of any particular church that I know of. He interview at the Catholic school in Temple and was hired on the spot, but then found out that he'd have to sign a sort of loyalty oath to the Catholic church and decided against it, so it's not just the Protestant church schools that do that.

As a person who would not be hired by either place, I think religious affiliated schools have every right to hire who they want and teach what they want and limit their students to those who mirror their church.... as long as they don't use public funds to do that. I don't see where CTCS advertises itself as a charter school and I don't see where they follow state mandated curriculum or have their kids take state tests like TAKS. They seem to be totally independent and if that means that they don't use public funds like a charter then how they run their school is their business.

Chelo
May 8th, 2011, 8:36 PM
I went to Catholic school and had numerous teachers who were practicing members of other faiths. In elementary school, those teachers taught us everything except religion. My brother attended the same school as I did and his second grade teacher (a member of a Pentecostal church) told the class how fundamentally "flawed" the Catholic faith was. I don't think it's so much of a loyalty oath that Catholic schools require, rather a "non-bashing Catholicism" oath. Besides, there are several staff members at St. Mary's in Temple who are Hindu. Doesn't seem to bother them.

HS Teacher 5
May 8th, 2011, 9:56 PM
I'm sure it doesn't bother some people. The contents of the oath/agreement/whatever bothered him and so it was probably best for all concerned that he decided not to teach there after all.

corgifan
May 8th, 2011, 10:37 PM
What sense would that make?

Just because someone doesn't follow the faith doesn't mean they can't teach about it.

Scarlett
May 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Just because someone doesn't follow the faith doesn't mean they can't teach about it.

I disagree with that.

I think to be an effective teacher, you absolutely have to Believe in what you are teaching. Especially when it comes to religion.

dragonfly
May 8th, 2011, 10:59 PM
As a Christian, I wouldn't want a non-christian teaching my children about Christianity, PERIOD!
I know how easy it is to slide your own personal feelings into a lesson, sometimes without knowing it.

sasquatch
May 8th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Just to clarify, CTCS is not a charter school. It is a privately funded school, accredited through a national association. They are not required to follow state mandated TEKS, although they tend to fall closely in line with them, and they do not take TAKS. THey may not be as diverse a population as KISD, but that who chooses to attend CTCS is not up to them. And yes, the staff is required to sign a statement of faith, but being a privately-funded christian school that is their chioce.

I didn't mean to start a debate. I was just trying to make those, who would chose to teach at a Christian school, and who might be in need of a job, aware of openings. I taught in KISD, and I choose now to teach at CTCS. Personally I needed the extra money I made in KISD, but I gladly chose the financial sacrifice over the stress and chaos I had at my former school. Again, just trying to help someone out.

Grammar Rules
May 9th, 2011, 5:57 AM
I disagree with that.

I think to be an effective teacher, you absolutely have to Believe in what you are teaching. Especially when it comes to religion.

Don't you make a distinction, though, between teaching religion and teaching about the religion? I expect the Bible or Christian Ethics teacher in a religious school to be a person of that faith, but a social studies teacher in a public school should be able to teach ABOUT the drive and religious fervor of, say the Crusaders, or the willingness of the Jews of the Inquistion to die rather than renounce Judaism without being a Catholic or Jew him- or herself.

Scarlett
May 9th, 2011, 7:33 AM
Don't you make a distinction, though, between teaching religion and teaching about the religion? I expect the Bible or Christian Ethics teacher in a religious school to be a person of that faith, but a social studies teacher in a public school should be able to teach ABOUT the drive and religious fervor of, say the Crusaders, or the willingness of the Jews of the Inquistion to die rather than renounce Judaism without being a Catholic or Jew him- or herself.

Of course I do. But we are not talking about my ability to do THAT in a PUBLIC school.
As a product of a Christian School, I was referring to how teachers in that type of school teach religion. Teaching religion and teaching ABOUT religion are obviously two different things.

Texas Immigrant
May 9th, 2011, 7:47 AM
I would LOVE to work at a Christian School. It's just until my husband finds a great paying job, I need to stay with KISD.

HS Teacher 5
May 9th, 2011, 7:54 AM
@ Sasquatch

I know you didn't mean to start a debate and the heads up about the jobs available are really appreciated by everyone here, I'm sure.

When someone introduces an education topic we just start talking about the ins and outs of it and sometimes the conversation wanders. Thanks again for thinking of those who were riff'd.

Scarlett
May 9th, 2011, 7:54 AM
I would LOVE to work at a Christian School. It's just until my husband finds a great paying job, I need to stay with KISD.

YOU would be great at it.

I do hope my comments don't make everything think I am "anti-religion!"
I just have issues.

Grammar Rules
May 9th, 2011, 8:01 AM
Of course I do. But we are not talking about my ability to do THAT in a PUBLIC school.
As a product of a Christian School, I was referring to how teachers in that type of school teach religion. Teaching religion and teaching ABOUT religion are obviously two different things.

I know YOU know that, but some don't get the distinction and use the term "Christian" interchangeably with "upright or moral." For example, a Belton mom told me what a grand distict is BISD because the teachers are Christians. Hmmm.

Lots of folks want their teachers to be if their own faith, public school or not.

Scarlett
May 9th, 2011, 8:05 AM
I know YOU know that, but some don't get the distinction and use the term "Christian" interchangeably with "upright or moral." For example, a Belton mom told me what a grand distict is BISD because the teachers are Christians. Hmmm.

Lots of folks want their teachers to be if their own faith, public school or not.

Haha. That is true.

macs
September 12th, 2012, 9:56 PM
KISD is wide open...at least elementary is. So open, the district was looking at pulling title 1 paid teachers to throw into classrooms.

CenTexDave
October 4th, 2012, 9:58 AM
There will be an opening at Ellison soon. Will need to replace the current football coach. :))