PDA

View Full Version : Not too happy with Animal Control right now

Nature Lover
May 1st, 2011, 8:07 PM
Friday night I chased two large dogs out of my backyard (a common occurance). Saturday morning I discovered that they had killed a stray cat in my backyard. I called Animal Control at 8:30 am and requested that the body be removed as I did not want to put it in my garbage can since my next pick-up is not until next Friday.

It is now Sunday evening and the body is still sitting in my backyard rotting away. Is this the normal timeline for Killeen's Animal Control?

Scarlett
May 1st, 2011, 8:11 PM
Guess they figure that particular animal is, in fact, under control?

Of course I'm kidding...only because I have no idea! I would probably have just dug a hole and buried it myself.

Nature Lover
May 1st, 2011, 8:22 PM
AC suggested that I bag the body and put it at the curb for them to pick up. I replied that one of the dogs that killed the cat would probably rip open the bag. Or one of the many other dogs I see roaming my part of Killeen would.

Chief
May 2nd, 2011, 1:38 AM
Animal control is a complete waste of money. They are non responsive, and a waste of the tax payers dollars.

Scarlett
May 2nd, 2011, 6:48 AM
I wouldn't go THAT far. I have only ever called them ONCE, on a weekend after hours. I didn't even know the number so I had dialed 911 and was transferred. They (police and animal control) were at my house in under 20 minutes.

Of course, Cujo (neighbors insane beast) had my tiny dog in his jaws in my backyard after ripping through my fence. Maybe they thought it was more important than an already dead cat?

Either way, two days seems to be an excessive wait!

engteach64
May 2nd, 2011, 7:58 AM
It is illegal to bury an animal in your yard if you live in the city. At least that is what I've heard.

As to animal control, I'm not too happy with them either. We have a possum that has had 2 litters in our back yard, and it is big enough that it could eat my dogs...maybe even my 6'8" son. I'm not kidding, this sucker is HUGE!! Animal control said they could not come get it because it could not be separated from it's babies. My son said, "Take the babies too." They said no.

xzochye
May 2nd, 2011, 8:18 AM
I wouldn't go THAT far. I have only ever called them ONCE, on a weekend after hours. I didn't even know the number so I had dialed 911 and was transferred. They (police and animal control) were at my house in under 20 minutes.

Of course, Cujo (neighbors insane beast) had my tiny dog in his jaws in my backyard after ripping through my fence. Maybe they thought it was more important than an already dead cat?

Either way, two days seems to be an excessive wait!

A couple of months ago there was a large dog locked in my neighbor's backyard. My neighbor's house at this time was for rent and had been empty for several months! This dog chewed a large hole in my fence and had bitten both of my dogs before I had realized what was going on. I called animal control at 5:30 on a weekday and of course they were already closed so I called the emergency number which is the police department. They told me sorry you have to wait until animal control opens tomorrow. To me that is an emergency and someone should have been sent out to get that dog. Since they wouldn't handle it I went and opened the fence and let that dog run off.

Scarlett
May 2nd, 2011, 9:14 AM
To me that is an emergency and someone should have been sent out to get that dog. Since they wouldn't handle it I went and opened the fence and let that dog run off.
They should have! And I would have handled it the same way...

Scarlett
May 2nd, 2011, 9:15 AM
It is illegal to bury an animal in your yard if you live in the city. At least that is what I've heard.

I guess I would be willing to break that law. Seriously...how would anyone even know?

Hell, we buried my daughter's hamster in our backyard. Am I going to jail for that?

Night Owl
May 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
You let the hamster (cat) out of the bag. It's bars in your future.

Scarlett
May 2nd, 2011, 10:29 AM
I'm willing to take one for the team. I'm willing to take this all the way to the Supreme Court! I should be allowed to bury a pet in my own damn backyard. Don't I own the yard? Didn't I own the pet? Grrrr....

Geschnatter
May 4th, 2011, 9:40 PM
Why not put the cat IN the bag? Personally I would have taken the cat to Animal Control to be incinerated. I mean, citizens need to take care of things themselves and not always wait for the government to take care of them.

gnatsum
May 4th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I thought Scarlett already has bars! Those chocolate martinis aren't made at home...or do I have her confused with someone else?