PDA

View Full Version : Can a dog be spayed when in heat?

spedkiddos
April 26th, 2011, 10:26 PM
A couple of months ago some one dropped off a chow-german shepherd mix female. She was VERY under weight. She was also very scared, she would not come with in 100 yards of us to begin with. She will now come up to us and stay a while, but still very scared. We've been feeding when she comes around. Today there was a male hanging around her, making it obvious that she is in heat. What shots must a dog have before she can be fixed and can she be fixed while she is in heat? She's a good dog and we live outside the city limits, she is able to roam as she wants, since she does not get along with my 14 year old dog, and I can't have her inside the fence. I'm just trying to get info on what shots she needs to get fixed. I'm also looking for an inexpensive place to have her fixed. I'm a little scared to put her in a vehicle, since I don't know how she'll react, since she is SO scared. Thanks for ANY info.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
April 27th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Most facilities require at least a rabies and DAPPL vaccination before a surgical procedure can be performed. This is for the protection of an animal that is about to undergo a stressful surgical procedure. She also needs to be tested for heartworms and have an intestinal parasite exam performed. As for being in heat, they can be spayed during that time but it does increase the risk of the surgery. These patients often having clotting abnormalities and the surgery is a bit more difficult and often fees are increased. Waco has a low cost spay/neuter facility but of course you'd have to drive up there.

http://www.animalbirthcontrol.org/