PDA

View Full Version : Snake nest in my backyard

Pumpkingirl
April 16th, 2011, 5:50 PM
We are steadily working on our backyard in hopes of "complete wonderfulness" for our daughters Luau birthday party in May.

We water DAILY (yes the city loves us), we mow ALOT, we have planted sod in places and we have this BEAUTIFUL honeysuckle vine coming across the fence.

Trees completely along the backside and a clothes line I actually use (you would be amazed how much we save with that thing).

Today I decided to cut a few branches, clean the pool, hang some clothes and find the biggest friggin snake nest EVER. I moved a tub I had put there perhaps a week ago that I gather poo in and dump and there was14741475 a nest of snake babies. I want to say a 100....snakes are NOT my friggin thing AT ALL.

Hubby says maybe 16.

Here's the thing, snake babies have a snake mama and she can't be as small and indescript as her children. I took some pics, hubby gathered as many as possible to transfer to a beautiful field across the street....BUT OMG snake mama has to be REALLY pissed now.

I am using the dryer and I rethinking the party....a room at the civic center sounds great right about now.

xzochye
April 16th, 2011, 5:56 PM
Oh goodness those are big babies!!!

Night Owl
April 16th, 2011, 6:01 PM
Harmless. It seems you may have the mom also, hard to tell by the picture. They are good at keeping bugs and other undesireable insects out of your yard.

Pumpkingirl
April 16th, 2011, 6:09 PM
The pic is bad...we grabbed a bunch and put in a bowl to transfer (THE ENTIRE time I was SCREAMING..."not close to me...not close to me ..with expletives" after we did so our amazing 70lb love dog knocked over the bowl, grabbed a mouthful took them for a spin, hubby tried to RAKE the rest, they coiled around the rake...I am screaming from the sliding glass door...."THEY ARE ALL OVER THE YARD NOW YOU IDIOTS", my daughter grabs her phone to video and then my chihuhua bounces out the house and OMG those snakes would eat him (yes he is my world).

This is where I grabbed my dog, made myself a drink and haven't looked in the backyard since. There is no noise...

Mestral
April 16th, 2011, 6:48 PM
Not certain what kind they are, but I know all the poisonous ones around here and those aren't any of the poisonous ones. There is a common garden snake around these parts that, as Night Owl said, eats bugs. If you don't live right next to a creek, or right on the edge of the city, garden snakes will hopefully be the only ones you see.

corgifan
April 16th, 2011, 7:08 PM
I wish the photos were clear. I like identifying snakes.

Pumpkingirl
April 16th, 2011, 7:19 PM
Not certain what kind they are, but I know all the poisonous ones around here and those aren't any of the poisonous ones. There is a common garden snake around these parts that, as Night Owl said, eats bugs. If you don't live right next to a creek, or right on the edge of the city, garden snakes will hopefully be the only ones you see.

Thank you so much. I tried to take a good pic, but I am deathly afraid of snakes...(even so I wanted them RELEASED in a field ACROSS from my house...Jesus I am an idiot. My dog ate two (we think) so that is doubly good news. I document EVERYTHING and today on my calender I put snakes/dogs/YUK.

We do have a water "area" next to us and little traffic flow.

I know people like this kind of crap....this is my hell.

Pumpkingirl
April 16th, 2011, 7:21 PM

YUK

Yve
April 16th, 2011, 7:35 PM
I don't like snakes any better, but this is funny.

My husband does the critter thing. I take his word for it, whatever he tells me.

He finds frogs, spiders that look like tarantulas, lizards, and all kinds of creepy things. Loves to jar 'em and put them on the kitchen table. Since we raised two boys, I've learned to suck it up. My only girl is into the creepy stuff as well.

If you have uncovered their nesting spot, then they should find another either somewhere else in your yard or they'll move on. I doubt the momma snake is coming after you. She's probably dreaming of a snake's version of a stiff drink right now....

Spartan
April 16th, 2011, 8:07 PM
The snakes in the picture are harmless though their specie cannot be readily identified. They appear to me to be adult DeKays snakes who may have gathered in your moist environment to find earthworms and grubs, their primary diet, which cannot be found in your neighbors' dessicated environments. At any rate, few snakes have live young. Nor do snakes stay around to guard their brood so I don't believe you have to worry about "momma" snake being around.

THEMEANOGRE
April 17th, 2011, 7:07 AM
Rather than turn them loose in a field, I'd find someone into fishing. Snakes make good bass food, I'm told.

shar
April 19th, 2011, 1:06 PM
She's probably dreaming of a snake's version of a stiff drink right now....

LOL - Love it!

dawglover
April 19th, 2011, 5:33 PM
1474[/ATTACH]1475 a nest of snake babies. I want to say a 100....snakes are NOT my friggin thing AT ALL.

I am using the dryer and I rethinking the party....a room at the civic center sounds great right about now.

Since you are not going to use that location may I suggest that you offer it up for the next liberal-progressive convention or meeting. :)

dawglover
April 19th, 2011, 5:35 PM
Rather than turn them loose in a field, I'd find someone into fishing. Snakes make good bass food, I'm told.

Yep, the bass eat the snakes and the snakes eat the people.

August
April 19th, 2011, 5:59 PM
That is disgusting and horrifying. I am terrified of snakes. The way they move .... ugghgghh .... shudder. I think I have an actual phobia

dawglover
April 19th, 2011, 6:13 PM

Really? Can you identify any of these sankes?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=obama+photos&FORM=IGRE11#x0y1658

Spartan
April 19th, 2011, 9:24 PM
Boobslugs, a venomous specie from Africa.

joyohjoy
April 19th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I have a couple of Boston Terriers you can borrow. They kill all the snakes in my yard. Bite their heads off and leave the body. Don't know why but they do.

Night Owl
April 20th, 2011, 7:28 AM
I thought I saw George and Linda in there. Could have been Sally and Henry. Didn't see Rufus!

harleygirl
April 20th, 2011, 3:50 PM
I live out in the country and always walking up on snakes last summer my husband killed 2 rattle snakes in our yard very scary cause my grandkids play out there.

Pumpkingirl
April 20th, 2011, 4:14 PM
"Since you are not going to use that location may I suggest that you offer it up for the next liberal-progressive convention or meeting. "

I loved that comment.....I would love to think the things that scare me most are in fact the ones who take care of me. Makes it full circle for me!

Spartan
April 20th, 2011, 4:16 PM
I live out in the country and always walking up on snakes last summer my husband killed 2 rattle snakes in our yard very scary cause my grandkids play out there.

There are treatments available for your ophidiophobia. Too bad we cannot treat the snakes for their fear of humans. They are more frightened of you than you are of them. They have a place in our ecology and there is no need for such senseless slaughter. If I treated feral cats or dogs in that way you'd probably raise heck and yet I believe they present the greater danger to your grandkids (BTW I assume you meant children... goats have kids).

I have played with snakes since I was 12 years old... all species native to Texas and some from Florida that I got trading... No venomous snake has ever bitten me, though a Blotched Water Snake (Nerodia transversa) did... several times... meaner than my Cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus).

Pumpkingirl
April 20th, 2011, 4:26 PM
There are treatments available for your ophidiophobia. Too bad we cannot treat the snakes for their fear of humans. They are more frightened of you than you are of them. They have a place in our ecology and there is no need for such senseless slaughter. If I treated feral cats or dogs in that way you'd probably raise heck and yet I believe they present the greater danger to your grandkids (BTW I assume you meant children... goats have kids).

I have played with snakes since I was 12 years old... all species native to Texas and some from Florida that I got trading... No venomous snake has ever bitten me, though a Blotched Water Snake (Nerodia transversa) did... several times... meaner than my Cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus).

ALL of us are not capable of fighting our phobias with the GUSTO you seem to suscribe to in EVERY friggin post. A small grandchild, a snake (whatever the size.....thats terrifying. Why can't you just give her that?

You said you played with snakes since you were 12 that means at LEAST 70 years of experience.....there are those who have none and have a real fear.

Offer your CONSIDERABLE intellect and leave the snide and snipid remarks for those who deserve them. It doesn't make sense to have that much knowledge about a specific species and then "attack" those who don't.

OH and if you are going to use the "I gave her an out when I said treat your phobia...that was piss poor"

stormy
April 20th, 2011, 4:30 PM
Oh for cryin' in the night Spartan...:rolleyes And they have treatment available for people like you too....

harleygirl
April 20th, 2011, 4:41 PM
To bad everyone did not go to the same school as you then we would all know e:rolleyesverything

Brian McCall
April 20th, 2011, 5:17 PM
We are steadily working on our backyard in hopes of "complete wonderfulness" for our daughters Luau birthday party in May.

We water DAILY (yes the city loves us), we mow ALOT, we have planted sod in places and we have this BEAUTIFUL honeysuckle vine coming across the fence.

Trees completely along the backside and a clothes line I actually use (you would be amazed how much we save with that thing).

Today I decided to cut a few branches, clean the pool, hang some clothes and find the biggest friggin snake nest EVER. I moved a tub I had put there perhaps a week ago that I gather poo in and dump and there was14741475 a nest of snake babies. I want to say a 100....snakes are NOT my friggin thing AT ALL.

Hubby says maybe 16.

Here's the thing, snake babies have a snake mama and she can't be as small and indescript as her children. I took some pics, hubby gathered as many as possible to transfer to a beautiful field across the street....BUT OMG snake mama has to be REALLY pissed now.

That. Is. Awesome.

Why not have the party there, and let the kiddies handle them?

They're harmless creatures. In fact, they'll keep other less desirable pests away.

Pumpkingirl
April 20th, 2011, 5:22 PM
That. Is. Awesome.

Why not have the party there, and let the kiddies handle them?

They're harmless creatures. In fact, they'll keep other less desirable pests away.

YOU must be speaking about yourself....because I can think of NOTHING less desirable than YOU in my backyard!

Spartan
April 20th, 2011, 5:23 PM
YOU must be speaking about yourself....because I can think of NOTHING less desirable than YOU in my backyard!

Now I'm hurt. I was sure I had the honor of being least desirable.

Brian McCall
April 20th, 2011, 5:31 PM

I agree. I grew up in the country, so snakes don't bother me. Make me jump a bit when they startle me, that's it. They are an important part of nature.

I am far more afraid of the vicious, anti-social dogs people keep penned up in their filthy trashy yards around here, contained by nothing more than a bit of flimsy chicken-wire fence and thin metal posts buried a full 3 inches, leaning haphazardly. They gnash and snarl, fangs bared and mouth afroth, lunging out of the darkness hatefully as I run by.

Brian McCall
April 20th, 2011, 5:31 PM

Is that an invitation?

Pumpkingirl
April 20th, 2011, 5:33 PM
Is that an invitation?

absolutely....my dog and I await with vicious glee!!!!!

Rick
April 20th, 2011, 5:34 PM
They are good at keeping bugs and other undesireable insects out of your yard.
They are good at keeping ME out of your backyard!!!

I got rid of our chickens because I didn't like snakes!

Night Owl
April 21st, 2011, 8:54 AM
Rick
Chickens aren't snakes. They don't even look like snakes. Why get rid of the chickens?:)

Spartan
April 21st, 2011, 9:03 AM
Rick
Chickens aren't snakes. They don't even look like snakes. Why get rid of the chickens?:)

Chicken feed attracts rodents which attract snakes. Some, totally harmless snakes occasionally eat eggs. Getting rid of chickens in your home reduces the possibility of a snake being attracted to your home; that presupposes that your home does not have other rodent attractants such as dog food, left over pizza, popcorn under the sofa and so on in your home. If you keep the chickens in the chicken yard such dangers are minimized.

Rick
April 21st, 2011, 9:16 AM
These snakes were attracted to the eggs.

Every time I would open the nest cover and see a snake, I damn near had a heart attack.

Rick
April 21st, 2011, 12:54 PM
I'd also like to comment that the chickens kill small snakes as well. It was common to see them in a tug of war with a snake.

engteach64
April 23rd, 2011, 7:39 PM
Too funny! We find random snakes in our pool through the summer. Every now and then I save one from drowning. We have a possum that keeps critters to a minimum in our yard, so we let her stay. My only issue is that she is HUGE! You think a snake could eat your little dog, the possum could eat my beagles. Heck it could eat my son! I deal though because we have no other living species in our back yard at this time.

edie
April 23rd, 2011, 9:32 PM
You need to be grateful it was not in your house! We found a baby rattler in the house by the backdoor a couple of months ago. It must have crawled in the back door. I heard this rattle like a toy car noise. The snake kept rattling to let me know it was there... scared the **** out of me. I hope this baby was an orphan.

Is that an invitation?

Texas Immigrant
April 23rd, 2011, 9:34 PM
You need to be grateful it was not in your house! We found a baby rattler in the house by the backdoor a couple of months ago. It must have crawled in the back door. I heard this rattle like a toy car noise. The snake kept rattling to let me know it was there... scared the **** out of me. I hope this baby was an orphan.

YIKES!! Do you live in the country or in a new subdivision?

engteach64
April 23rd, 2011, 9:56 PM
This thread totally cracks me up. I'm glad I'm not the only coward in Texas. We lived in the country many moons ago, and had two chickens. We collected 2 eggs every day until they got smart. They started hiding their eggs. I finally found them in a nest in the bamboo after the chickens were gone. I was cleaning them out when I looked over to my left and saw a boa constrictor. Okay, it probably wasn't a boa, but from my angle it was. To this day I see a huge black boa constrictor when I think back on that moment. I can't make myself realize it was brobably just a random snake. Oh well, I will never like snakes in my proximity. I did go swimming with one a couple years ago, but it was small, and totally an accident. I may have awoken my neighbors when I saw it, but I scooped it out with the net and was fine. Whew, that 12 inch pencil thin snake could have killed me!:-s

Night Owl
April 23rd, 2011, 10:55 PM
What you saw was a black snake and they love eggs.