PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the Rainbow Bridge

wolfcub
March 29th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Have not been around much lately because we unfortunately lost our beloved Bernie Girl this past Friday. She was a rescue Greyhound that my wife and I adopted over 10 years ago. She was my first dog (as an adult) and a friend to the end. She was all my son (now 8) knew as we had her before we had him.

I can still see her giving her "sniff of approval" for anyone that wanted to hold him when he was a baby. She was always there when I got home at my feet and always there to be my alarm clock each morning.

After losing 20 pounds over the past 6 months (from 60lbs to 40lbs), cancer finally got hold to the point where she put her head in my lap and looked at me to eill me "it was time and it was okay."

She would have been 14 this coming April and embodied the true meaning of a retired racer. I will miss her dearly and she will forever be my friend. Goodbye Bernie Girl.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-site/services/doc/4671:696463807307/jpeg/BG

Rick
March 29th, 2011, 12:56 PM
She was a very gentle dog. Sorry she is gone.

stormy
March 29th, 2011, 1:06 PM
Awww, that's awful. She looks so sweet... So sorry for your loss.

Night Owl
March 29th, 2011, 3:01 PM
Remeber you will always have the memories and she will remain alive in your heart until you can join her on the rainbow bridge.

Rotti_mama
March 29th, 2011, 3:10 PM
RIP Bernie Girl

prideworks
March 29th, 2011, 3:13 PM
she was fortunate to have someone who loved her as much as you did...........my thoughts are with you.

joyohjoy
March 29th, 2011, 3:14 PM
Sorry for your loss. Hope you will consider another rescue when the time is right.

Spartan
March 29th, 2011, 3:36 PM
For those as puzzled as was I, here's where the title of this thread came from:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Not theologically acceptable but certainly understandable. Gus, my white rat companion, awaits me on the bridge.

FieryPrincess
April 1st, 2011, 8:18 PM
I understand your pain having lost my lab/greyhound mix 6 weeks ago and she had gone through much the same thing. I think all we can do is to thank God that we had them for the time we did and enjoy the footprints they have left in our hearts.

TexMexYum
April 3rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
What a sweetheart. I am sorry for your loss.

CenTexDave
April 4th, 2011, 8:40 PM
It's always tough to lose a long time pet who is a member of your family.

Deb
April 7th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I'm also sorry for your loss, Wolfcub. I know how you feel. I lost 3 pets within 4 months last summer. The last one was totally unexpected. She had a heart attack and passed away. But at least she didn't suffer.

Imagine
May 6th, 2011, 5:48 PM
Want to thank you, whoever you are, who posted the Rainbow Bridge meditation. Had to say goodbye to a beloved dog this afternoon, and even though we knew it was time, the parting was harder than I thought it would be. She gave us so much more than we ever gave her, and my heart is broken right now. I remembered having read this and am pleased that this comforting thought is still here.

Night Owl
May 7th, 2011, 6:34 PM
Imagine
I am sorry for your loss. This is a difficult time but you will always have the memories.

Deb
May 8th, 2011, 5:32 PM
I am also sorry for your loss, Imagine. Last year was a tough year for me pet wise. I lost a ferret June 16, my 18 year old cocker spaniel July 14, and a 10 year old pomeranian who had a heart attack and passed away suddenly. The only way I found out she had a heart attack was thru an animal communicator who talked to her and the dog told the communicator that she had a tightness in her chest and was gone. I know that dog is at the Rainbow Bridge with my friend's mother who originally owned her. Then her son took custody of the dog before he died in January 2007. Then I had her for about 3.5 years. But it sure hurt losing her so suddenly. But at least she didn't suffer.

Missy
June 20th, 2011, 10:38 PM
My sympathy in the loss of your good friend....sometimes I like my pets more than my human friends. They don't seem to mind my shortcomings.

wolfcub
June 21st, 2011, 7:56 AM
Want to thank you, whoever you are, who posted the Rainbow Bridge meditation. Had to say goodbye to a beloved dog this afternoon, and even though we knew it was time, the parting was harder than I thought it would be. She gave us so much more than we ever gave her, and my heart is broken right now. I remembered having read this and am pleased that this comforting thought is still here.

Imagine - my thoughts are with you. I still think about my Bernie Girl each day.