PDA

View Full Version : Vaccinations

siamcat
April 6th, 2009, 8:28 PM
Please vaccinate your kids.
Some illnesses are making a come back since I guess some people think it's not neccessary to vaccinate anymore.
I'm just saying this since I took my daughter to the doctor for a persistent cough and found out that whooping cough has had several confirmed cases in Killeen.
She had all her vaccines when she was supposed to, but she still gets to stay home for a week just in case.

FieryPrincess
April 6th, 2009, 8:52 PM
My kids are fully vaccinated, but I wonder about the efficacy of some of them. I also wonder about the prudence of filling up little bitty bodies full of those viruses all at once (practically) .

Does anyone else feel like we are often just one large science experiment for someone?

I was fully vaccinated - I got measles in high school. Frankly they would have been less dangerous to have had them in elementary school (but I sure lost a LOT of weight right before prom!). A friend's daughter is fully vaccinated and got a whopping case of chicken pox anyway. I know that vaccines save lives, but at some point, the diseases are also there to weed out the weak.

hmmmm.... bugs are stronger, we are weaker.

As you can tell, I am very conflicted about vaccines. I only complied because it was law to do so.

siamcat
April 6th, 2009, 9:21 PM
Vaccines are not perfect and I understand being conflicted. It's just that some diseases that once were gone are coming back.

Night Owl
April 7th, 2009, 8:11 AM
I had chicken pox when I was a child and thought well I've had them don't need to worry about that one again. WRONG!!!!

My younger was a Junior in high School and was exposed to CP and I got them again at the age of 43. A very mild case and the doctor sent me home for 3 solid weeks. My commander was not a happy camper, but not nearly as unhappy as I was.

christine
April 7th, 2009, 8:23 AM
I think it is important to have vaccinations. I've never been really sick except once with the flu. I wish more people would keep their vaccinations up.
Of course maybe I'm biased, I grew up with a dad who had polio twice in his life before he reached the age of 6. he never let any of us kids miss our shots.

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 8:35 AM
While I've known a few cases where people get measles or chicken pox after being vaccinated, those diseases are more of an inconvenience than anything else.
People need to get their kids vaccinated against polio and smallpox. If those diseases start a comeback we'll "decrease the surface population" (thanks and a tip of the hat to Mr. Ebeneezer Scrooge, circa 1750, England).

christine
April 7th, 2009, 8:38 AM
you may not know this but when the polio vac. was invented people were afraid to use it cause it did cause some deaths...or at least that's what they thought.

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 9:50 AM
I had an aunt who had polio as a kid. She recovered but always had a noticeable limp. I remember when the Sabin Oral Vaccine first came out. It was given on sugar cubes. The vaccine was available at our local schools, and people lined up on Sundays to receive it. Believe it was given in a series of 3 or 4 weeks.

christine
April 7th, 2009, 9:54 AM
well my dad's legs are kind of on the skinny side from it & his feet aren't that great. My grandmother, his mom, didn't want him to have the vac at first. thats why he caught it again.
What was the Sabin Vac. is for??

THEMEANOGRE
April 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I always had trouble with flu shots. I took the shot, I'd have the flu for three (3) days. If I just get the flu, I'm over it in a day. Now I have MS and I know why. Having a hyperactive immune system is really the pits.

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 10:08 AM
The Sabin Oral Vaccine was for polio. It was a different kind of vaccine that what Jonas Salk came up with. This was administered in the time frame of 1961-63. (Yeah, I know - I'm older than dirt).:)

Night Owl
April 7th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I don't know CTDave you sound like a youngster to me.:((:((

Night Owl
April 7th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I plan on living to 100 and I'm 56% there.

christine
April 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
o I never knew the true name for the vac. thanks Dave.
hey my dad is in his 50s & they had just come out with the vac when he was little. so I guess your not to old...still old but not older than dirt.

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Just old enough to know better, and to not really give a ****!!:)

Gramps
April 7th, 2009, 10:49 AM
What was the Sabin Vac. is for??

It was a polio vaccine administered orally. The dosage was a few drops put on a sugar cube which the lucky kid receiving the vaccine got to eat. It was much better than the Salk vaccine shot I had to take. Did I just date myself there?
:?:?:?

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I got both of those - the Salk vaccine via the needle and then later on everybody took the Sabin Oral Vaccine.
I imagine the way the oral vaccine became such a hit that the druggies found that taking LSD on a sugar cube was a great way to get messed up!!

stormy
April 7th, 2009, 3:34 PM
Well, my daughter is one of the lucky ones at Pershing Park Elem. that got sent home yesterday. Since she had a cough, we had to get antiobiotics from the Dr. and were sent to Metroplex to get the test done to see if she is positive for Pertussis. Still haven't got the results back, so she is at home.

The way the Bell County Health Dept. nurse explained it to me was that the child at PPE that got whooping cough was, in fact, up to date on their shots. She explained that children usually get their booster shot at 12 (the TDaP -- Tetanus, Diptheria & Pertussis). But, in 11 year-olds especially, the vaccine can wear down and the outbreak begins. She said the vaccine booster that's out now can be given to kids at age 11. So, my daughter also got her booster yesterday, too. I don't know if she was more upset about the shot or missing her TAKS test today.

CenTexDave
April 7th, 2009, 3:38 PM
That's great. They sent her home because she had a cough and missed the TAKS test.
While I understand they need to worry about things like that, now the school district will be raising hell because she was pulled out of school and missed the test.

stormy
April 7th, 2009, 4:52 PM
What I'd like to know is what's going to happen with the TAKS test? Will they only get the one last opportunity to take it (I'm understanding they have 2 tries before school is out), or will they give them both opportunities to pass before the school year ends? The kids that are not allowed to return to school until negative test results are back or are on anti-biotics for 5 days all missed today's test. I am worried if for some reason, my daughter doesn't pass, she'll end up going to summer school since she won't have that 2nd opportunity to take it before the year is up. Maybe someone can clarify it for me since I haven't been able to contact the school about this yet.

FieryPrincess
April 7th, 2009, 6:00 PM
There ougth to be a make up day for some of that. I know that during the big TAKS week, we have had kids take a test that missed the first one.

siamcat
April 7th, 2009, 6:01 PM
Well, my daughter is one of the lucky ones at Pershing Park Elem. that got sent home yesterday. Since she had a cough, we had to get antiobiotics from the Dr. and were sent to Metroplex to get the test done to see if she is positive for Pertussis. Still haven't got the results back, so she is at home.

The way the Bell County Health Dept. nurse explained it to me was that the child at PPE that got whooping cough was, in fact, up to date on their shots. She explained that children usually get their booster shot at 12 (the TDaP -- Tetanus, Diptheria & Pertussis). But, in 11 year-olds especially, the vaccine can wear down and the outbreak begins. She said the vaccine booster that's out now can be given to kids at age 11. So, my daughter also got her booster yesterday, too. I don't know if she was more upset about the shot or missing her TAKS test today.

Hey, I did the same thing yesterday. I'm sorry your daughter missed her TAKS test.
Keeping up with shots is important, not just for the diseases considered serious. There was an outbreak of measles or chicken pox in Germany that closed entire school districts. It was a much more virulent strain then what we might remember from our childhood.

stormy
April 9th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Well, the test results came back Tuesday evening, and were, of course, negative. My daughter went to school on Wednesday and they all were given the TAKS. She seems to think she did ok. Damn test makes me nervous!

Proud Texan
April 9th, 2009, 2:28 PM
I had chicken pox when I was a child and thought well I've had them don't need to worry about that one again. WRONG!!!!

My younger was a Junior in high School and was exposed to CP and I got them again at the age of 43. A very mild case and the doctor sent me home for 3 solid weeks. My commander was not a happy camper, but not nearly as unhappy as I was.

\

That is because like the flu there are several different strains of Chicken Pox. And FP the chicken pox vaccine does not cover all the different strans

siamcat
April 9th, 2009, 3:35 PM
Well, the test results came back Tuesday evening, and were, of course, negative. My daughter went to school on Wednesday and they all were given the TAKS. She seems to think she did ok. Damn test makes me nervous!

Wow, we still haven't gotten any results back. Oh well, she'll be back in school Monday.

stormy
April 9th, 2009, 3:39 PM
Oh, wow. Did she get her test done at MPX?

siamcat
April 9th, 2009, 3:49 PM
Yes.

stormy
April 9th, 2009, 4:23 PM
Jeez. I guess it won't matter since she'll have been on the anti-biotics for 5 days already by the time school starts back again on Monday! Did you have to sit in that freezing cold decontamination room until they came in to do the test? It looked more like a storage closet with a portable shower. My daughter told me I was not allowed to touch anything! :)

siamcat
April 9th, 2009, 7:05 PM
Yes, first thing they did is slap a mask on her. At least they brought her a blanket.

stormy
April 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Same here! She felt ridiculous in that mask! :)

FieryPrincess
April 10th, 2009, 2:46 PM
the chicken pox vaccine does not cover all the different strains

Makes me wonder why they were so quick to foist this convenience vaccine on the public.