PDA

View Full Version : Life saving advice

Scarlett
March 11th, 2011, 4:14 PM
Just wanted to toss something out here...and by placing it up here nobody can feel as if I am "picking on them or their grammar" in particular. But folks, let me stress to you the importance of punctuation. Commas can, in fact, save lives. Take this for example:

LET'S EAT GRANDMA!!!!

vs.

LET'S EAT, GRANDMA!!!

I say this because some of the posts lately have been really hard for me to follow...but a comma here and there...or my favorite....the DOT DOT DOT...makes a world of difference!

HAVE AN AMAZING SPRING BREAK EVERYONE!!! These last 10 minutes of student interaction were the longest 10 minutes of the year over here!!!!

~S~

Spartan
March 12th, 2011, 8:56 AM
You have, perhaps, missed your calling. Is it possible that you are a better teacher of grammar than of history?
Now, can we get to some spelling lessons?

THEMEANOGRE
March 12th, 2011, 9:33 AM
Nah, she's already said that she wasn't good enough at things like grammar to teach it. Besides she has a preference for history. She was pointing out that a select few here are worse at it than she thinks she is.

Scarlett
March 12th, 2011, 3:19 PM
I do not believe I ever said such a thing, Meanogre. I think I am quite good at it actually. In fact, my first two years in college I was an English major. I always thought I would teach English, because I am good at it and I find it easy. That being said, it is also ridiculously boring to me. My history professors in college were amazing, and changed my path. The rest, as they say, is history!

Scarlett
March 12th, 2011, 3:19 PM
You have, perhaps, missed your calling. Is it possible that you are a better teacher of grammar than of history?
Now, can we get to some spelling lessons?

Nope. That is not possible. I am the best history teacher in the entire world.

As for spelling...no. I suck at it. But if I can get the world to learn that a lot is two words, I will feel good about it. ;)

CenTexDave
March 12th, 2011, 8:43 PM
Maybe you could tutor Christine.

Night Owl
March 13th, 2011, 9:39 PM
Alot is and always be one word in the South!!!!

Scarlett
March 13th, 2011, 9:45 PM
Alot is and always be one word in the South!!!!

So I should ignore your lack of a helping verb in this sentence too?;)

Night Owl
March 13th, 2011, 9:48 PM
What's a helping verb??????:)

Scarlett
March 13th, 2011, 9:51 PM
Oh gawd...

Night Owl
March 13th, 2011, 10:29 PM
:bluerofl:bluerofl:bluerofl:bluerofl

gotcha

Night Owl
March 13th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Helping verbs are frowned upon in the military writing. They are considered passive. Such as be, being, been, was, and quite a few more.

Scarlett
March 13th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Am
Is
Are
Was
Were
Be
Being
Been
Have
Has
Had
Do
Does
Did
Shall
Will
Should
Could
May
Might
Must
Can
Would

There they are. I had to memorize them in elementary school and have never forgotten.

THEMEANOGRE
March 14th, 2011, 6:10 AM
I see three in the list that are some of the most used verbs in military writing.