PDA

View Full Version : The NEED for a low cost spay/neuter cliinic in Killeen/Fort Hood

Pumpkingirl
March 10th, 2011, 3:04 PM
We are getting our APBT spayed tomorrow. We called around and found a reasonable price (she is HUGE since we adopted her and it goes by weight), we also loved the receptionist we talked too, it really makes a difference.
Later my husband and I were talking and realized that ALOT of dog problems around our city would be solved with a simple spay or neuter.
We are looking at roughly 200 plus for her procedure.
Every low cost shot clinic they have, people are winding around the corner so obviously people love their pets BUT money is an issue.
Austin has free spay and neuter, Waco has a low cost clinic, Temple provides low cost spay and neuter to adopted dogs.
With deployments, transient community...people pick up pets and discard when they leave BUT during the time they are enjoying them if they were given a low cost option to spay/neuter I think most would take it.
This helps us permanent residents in the long run.

Spartan
March 10th, 2011, 4:18 PM
I have "neutered" hundreds of bovine on a self-help basis. I can think of no reason why a dog could not be taken care of using the same technique. Spaying is not a simple procedure but you can avoid that problem by not choosing a female in the first place.

Pumpkingirl
March 10th, 2011, 7:37 PM
I have "neutered" hundreds of bovine on a self-help basis. I can think of no reason why a dog could not be taken care of using the same technique. Spaying is not a simple procedure but you can avoid that problem by not choosing a female in the first place.
I find it disgusting that a handful of you "bored" and self-centered asses take a thoughtful thread and give it your weird twist.
I could say more but I would be banned.....can I say prick?

Spartan
March 10th, 2011, 9:40 PM
I find it disgusting that a handful of you "bored" and self-centered asses take a thoughtful thread and give it your weird twist.
I could say more but I would be banned.....can I say prick?

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Shame on you for being such an ill-bred .... can I say swine.

finalbowser
March 10th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Animal Trustees of Austin (http://www.animaltrustees.org/ATA/site/spayneuter.asp) is good low-cost spay/neuter clinic. It's $55 to have a female dog spayed. The only downside to that place is the drive. You have to bring in your pet before 8:30 and traffic is a nightmare from Round Rock to Austin during that hour. It would be nice to have a place closer to our area, but they are a good clinic and I would recommend them.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
March 11th, 2011, 8:51 AM
I've been considering this idea for a while. I have a full service operation to run and that is where my heart is but I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments from individuals about a low cost service. Ex. What do you consider low cost? What hours of operation do you think is best?

To make something low cost there is always give and take. Most low cost facilities are operated by a non-profit group that basically raises money to subsidize the cost. So, if you try one without a parent organization you have to find a way to keep the overhead down. Trust me, I do this stuff every day and its expensive to purchase anesthetics, medications, equipment, supplies and to provide the necessary things for safe and effective procedures.

I'd like to hear some ideas. Thanks.

Pumpkingirl
March 11th, 2011, 4:09 PM
AFTER I got pissed off posting this thread (ill-bred swine thats the best you got).......well we took our baby this morning and she is NOW home and snoozing away with lots of meds and love.

I don't know if my facts are completely right BUT I think George Fox started a foundation with a local lawyer that is non-profit and they host low-cost shot clinics. I would love a KILLEEN based company, perhaps a home builder (hint hint) to back Dr. Buckley in perhaps a once a month, by appt only spay and neuter. No out of pocket expense for the doc (well except his skill and time) THEN when it catches on maybe other local vets will volunteer their time.
Austin has a mobile unit, it would be great to gather enough funds for this and then the vets wouldn't have to use their own space.

Oh and I think low cost is pretty much along the lines of Waco and Austin prices about 75 give and take. We ended up spending over 300 but we added on a few things.

Animal lovers ABOUND in our region, if you love one, you basically love all. OH and think of the press this will generate (*whisper... this is only for anyone who OWNS a huge home building company) name on everything, articles in EVERYTHING, love from the various chapters that back spay/neuter....its so win/win.
THEN (*whisper...this is only for anyone who OWNS a huge home building company) when ME/YOU/WHOMEVER goes to buy a home....they will remember YOU.

Bottom line is.....we need something closer and low cost. Responsible pet ownership is not had by all in this city. This small step may sway a few.