PDA

View Full Version : friend freaked out! Told fixed male may be able to sill impregnate.

spedkiddos
March 3rd, 2011, 10:33 PM
Ok so I got a frantic call tonight from a friend who took in a stray (long story). Any ways, the previous owner said he was fixed in September 2010. She has an appointment for her female to be fixed over spring break, but... Tonight she caught the dogs stuck together. She called a vets office that was open late and they told her that he can still get her pregnant if there is semen, (I guess) trapped in the tube. The vet's office said something about this being about to happen for about the first 6 weeks since a male is neutered. Has anyone heard of this, so have any knowledge on the situation? I'm not really sure of all of the particulars since they're not my dogs, but I'm trying to get a little info for her!

finalbowser
March 3rd, 2011, 10:37 PM
I know that a dog can still produce semen for about a month after being neutered, but I don't know about 6 months later. That doesn't sound right.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
March 4th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Some males can still "perform" after neutering but it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that he could be doing anything but shooting blanks this long after castration.

spedkiddos
March 4th, 2011, 11:39 AM
That's what I tried to tell her, but.... she wouldn't listen!

Scarlett
March 4th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Some males can still "perform" after neutering but it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that he could be doing anything but shooting blanks this long after castration.

This both grossed me out and made me giggle...

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
March 4th, 2011, 1:40 PM
This both grossed me out and made me giggle...

Oh Scarlett, the stories I could tell......

Scarlett
March 4th, 2011, 2:41 PM
Oh Scarlett, the stories I could tell......

I am going to have to come spend a day with you and hear some more!

Speaking of spending a day with you...my daughter the future vet wants to do that...

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
March 4th, 2011, 2:58 PM
One of my greatest joys is having young people with an interest in veterinary medicine visit and volunteer in our practice. I have been around long enough now (read that as "I am old") that some of my "shadows" of the past are now colleagues. That makes you feel pretty good.

Night Owl
March 4th, 2011, 4:20 PM
or pretty old!!!!:)

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
March 4th, 2011, 4:50 PM
or pretty old!!!!

You got that right! And these cheesey Wal-Mart reading glasses in my shirt pocket serve as a constant reminder....................

xzochye
March 4th, 2011, 6:16 PM
Do you have teenage volunteers at your office? My son is always looking for volunteer opportunities.

macs
March 22nd, 2011, 9:43 PM
A vet who is not careful can miss a male who has not dropped. My chihuahua only dropped one. The vet at first thought his name was "UNO"! LOL! But, he found him packed high in his body and had to open him up. Had he not found it, I'm sure my little guy could have impregnated a female. And yes, with certain dogs, he can and still desires to perform!