PDA

View Full Version : Tommie Harris Released by the Bears

stormy
February 28th, 2011, 3:19 PM
http://www.kwtx.com/_254sports/headlines/Bears_Release_Former_Ellison_Star_117093643.html

LAKE FOREST (February 28, 2011)--The Chicago Bears have released veteran defensive tackle and former Ellison High star Tommie Harris, a three-time Pro Bowl pick who had struggled in recent years because of injuries.
The Bears also released linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer and offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer.
A Pro Bowl pick from 2005 to 2007, Harris was limited by knee
and hamstring problems the past few years and never regained his
old disruptive form. He had signed a four-year, $40 million
extension in June 2008 and was locked in through 2012, but the
Bears decided to cut him loose after several ineffective seasons.

corgifan
February 28th, 2011, 5:22 PM
Good kid. Went to Clarke Elementary. I wonder if he'll be healthy enough to play again. Hope so.

CenTexDave
February 28th, 2011, 7:06 PM
The guy was the best in the business until he got hurt. I imagine the Bears didn't want to keep his big salary for what would probably be limited duty. Hope he can catch on with some other team.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
February 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Could a healthy Harris help the Cowboys "D"? I'd love to see him in Texas. He's a fine young man and given a change of scenery I'd bet he'll be back to his old level of play.

CenTexDave
February 28th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Wouldn't be much help unless the new defensive coordinator, Ryan, switches back to a 4-3 defense.

Brad Buckley, D.V.M.
February 28th, 2011, 11:15 PM
You are right about that. Could he spell Ratliff at nose tackle?

CenTexDave
March 1st, 2011, 7:45 AM
No, don't think so. Ratliff is the best nose tackle in the business. Harris has never played that position, always been a DT although did play some DE in high school.

dawglover
March 1st, 2011, 10:44 AM
Wow! That is news. Bears loss could be Cowboys gain. Give him time to heal and Tommy can get back to original form and help take the Cowboys all the way. If anyone knows Jerry Jones, give him a call and plant a seed.

CenTexDave
March 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
I think half of Tommie Harris' problem was attitude, not injuries. Can he get back that great attitude he once had? Might be worth a look. Hope Jones at least considers bringing him in for a look.

cnjbond
March 1st, 2011, 11:46 AM
I think he might find a longer shelf life if he can switch to NT in a 3-4. He's already got the size for it and his primary responsibility would be to eat up blocks and stop the run. His starting days are probably long gone but I agree with Brad that he could be a backup...for the right price.

CenTexDave
March 1st, 2011, 1:29 PM
Or they could try him at QB. Can't be any worse than the trio of Three Stooges the Cowboys used last season. :)

cityboy
March 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Wow! That is news. Bears loss could be Cowboys gain. Give him time to heal and Tommy can get back to original form and help take the Cowboys all the way. If anyone knows Jerry Jones, give him a call and plant a seed.

I used to have Jerry's number, but lost it when I got a new phone ...