PDA

View Full Version : Desperate Times, Desperate Measures

huh7
February 26th, 2011, 5:55 AM
The economy is effecting everyone. When soldiers were returning from Iraq divorces increased, now with the economy in the pits, do you hear people marrying for convenience? I know of many people who are marrying for what they think is $$$ security with jobs being threatened, lost, rise in gas. If I were to remarry for that reason, I have to marry someone with more $$$$ (not less or 2% more), the money never gets old, it does buy happiness, but really...what about the great perks of being married. What problems will that create? Are children involved? C'mon people!:)):):):):):):):):):):):):):):rolleyes

huh7
February 26th, 2011, 5:57 AM
Marriage providing more men economic security
MARRIAGE
January 19, 2010|By David Crary, Associated Press

o
o

o
o
o

New York — Historically, marriage was the surest route to financial security for women. But nowadays it's men who are increasingly getting the biggest economic boost from tying the knot, according to a new analysis of census data.

The changes, summarized in a Pew Research Center report being released today, reflect the proliferation of working wives over the past 40 years - a period in which American women outpaced men in both education and earnings growth. A larger share of today's men, compared with their 1970 counterparts, are married to women whose education and income exceed their own, and a larger share of women are married to men with less education and income.http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-01-19/news/17829329_1_husbands-black-women-earnings

huh7
February 27th, 2011, 4:16 PM
Several views, but no response?

Mestral
February 27th, 2011, 4:20 PM
Several views, but no response?

Ahh, a question.
Why should anyone respond.
You seem to have made up your mind.

huh7
February 28th, 2011, 4:08 AM
What's your opinion?

Mestral
February 28th, 2011, 7:29 AM
My opinion is that sfgate has produced another piece of fluff journalism.

Most of the statistics compare 1970 with 2007. In 1970, employment was at a high, in 2007 male dominated jobs experienced mass layoffs - seriously skewing results. Not to mention that a simple, one dimensional statistic isn't enough to draw any conclusions at all, let alone define a seriously complicated economic and social equation.

The only really important lines in the article are: "the dramatic loss of manufacturing jobs" and "marked decline in the share of Americans who are married" those things not only hurt men, but has led to the undermining of our entire economy.

Not really sure what all this has to do with who gains more economically by marrying, which only appears to have changed. Both always have gained if they marry someone compatible, and in divorce, both lose.

huh7
March 1st, 2011, 7:05 PM
Two incomes are always better than one and the tax incentives are not bad. It could be a trend on the rise-people do marry for convenience, it just makes sense.

THEMEANOGRE
March 2nd, 2011, 9:47 AM
There was a practice on the TV show "Earth 2". On the space stations, they had time limited contractural marriages. At the end of the contract period, each side just gathered their stuff and walked away without the necessity for a divorce. Or the couple could just stay together and after a short period their window for dissolution closed and then they would have to get a divorce. Or they could do a new contract.

Spartan
March 2nd, 2011, 2:30 PM
We have that here on Earth 1, it's commonly called "shacking up". Not bad until you factor in those (unwanted) children.

Brian McCall
March 2nd, 2011, 8:23 PM
My opinion is that sfgate has produced another piece of fluff journalism.

Most of the statistics compare 1970 with 2007. In 1970, employment was at a high, in 2007 male dominated jobs experienced mass layoffs - seriously skewing results. Not to mention that a simple, one dimensional statistic isn't enough to draw any conclusions at all, let alone define a seriously complicated economic and social equation.

The only really important lines in the article are: "the dramatic loss of manufacturing jobs" and "marked decline in the share of Americans who are married" those things not only hurt men, but has led to the undermining of our entire economy.

Not really sure what all this has to do with who gains more economically by marrying, which only appears to have changed. Both always have gained if they marry someone compatible, and in divorce, both lose.

Structural bias (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2000/05/the-war-against-boys/4659/) against boys in education might have something to do with this.

Mestral
March 3rd, 2011, 4:26 PM
Structural bias (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2000/05/the-war-against-boys/4659/) against boys in education might have something to do with this.

It could. Would be one of many factors. That is part of what I was saying about the article. That it seizes on one statistic, and tries to define a complete generational economic and social system by it.

I am part of that trend that married for convenience. About 20 years ago. It was more convenient to keep her around that way :)

huh7
March 9th, 2011, 6:35 PM
We have that here on Earth 1, it's commonly called "shacking up". Not bad until you factor in those (unwanted) children.

I agree those (unwanted) children will become my taxpayer burden and I don't need that!
With all that is going on in KISD with the cuts, if you have not been following, it will be interesting to see how many come back from Spring Break married due to economic woes. :rolleyes I feel for anyone losing a job but the possibility of the unknown side effects.hmm

huh7
April 19th, 2011, 2:43 AM
This is a forum of anoymity, so let me ask the question here. I know that no one is ever innocent, what do you think about people having affairs w/in a workplace. This can b a for touchy topic for some, honestly, what about people who claim to be innocent, never doing any wrong, etc,yet, behind close door live another way, and then it leaks into the workplace, plus they teach your children or are around your children. I know people have affairs for different reasons, blah, blah, blah...but, aren't affairs built on lies and isn't there something in the code of ethics...just wandering, if we hold politicians and church leaders accountable for their behavor, shoud we not everyone else, teachers, and other staff, or any working person? Wait, that could include several people.

THEMEANOGRE
April 19th, 2011, 5:50 AM
I agree whole heartedly. Workplace affairs are bad news. Any extramarital affair is a bad thing, because a marital relationship SHOULD be built on friendship and trust, not simple animal lust. Unless one writes one's own vows and omits it, there is one that goes, "forsaking all others, so long as ye both shall live". Unless your own word is meaningless to you, that should be sufficient to prevent any impulse to engage in that sort of behavior.

huh7
April 21st, 2011, 6:58 PM
Sen. Ensignt says he will resign: hmmm, I wonder how many people in the world would actually do this?
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/04/21/ensign.resignation/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1 Also, I know that many people have frowned on those people who have had affairs and teach their children or interact with children in an education setting in some form, let's see the initials M and ?

Night Owl
April 21st, 2011, 9:23 PM
He is doing the right thing for his family and the country. Now if we could get the same from the demoncraps. Barney Franks should be the first to resign.

huh7
April 25th, 2011, 2:06 PM
Now, what about those that teach or influence children directly? Should they be asked to resign?

Night Owl
April 25th, 2011, 2:35 PM
Teachers should be held to a higher standard than normal folks. They have a direct influence on our children and that influence should be morally strong and not include politics of any kind. Teach the current system but leave personal opinions outside the school house doors. Teachers should not teach morals or standards that are not in line with what children are taught at home. That will be tough to do but the teachers that cannot do this should not be allowed contact with children. If teachers are convicted of a crime, that deals with morals, they should be released with cause as soon as the conviction is final. I know some idiot will post that I am talking about speeding tickets and such nonsense, but I'm not. Examples are adultry, drug use, sex offenses of ANY kind, embesselment, making false allegations and DUIs are an examples of things that should get teachers fired.