PDA

View Full Version : TRIPS

Scarlett
January 29th, 2009, 2:25 PM
I freaking LOVE to travel!
I am taking some kids this summer to NYC, London and Paris.
Last summer I went with a group of them to Greece.
Summer 2010 we are going to Peru.
ANYONE WHO WANTS TO JOIN US is welcome!
Good times... ;;)

xzochye
January 29th, 2009, 4:47 PM
Ok, What kids? More info please.

Scarlett
January 29th, 2009, 8:27 PM
Sent ya a PM

Night Owl
January 30th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Going to Alaska in March for three weeks, no kids. Just the wife and me. Have tickets to ride the train to Faibanks. Visit the daughter and grandkids for a week then back to no kids.

Scarlett
January 30th, 2009, 11:29 PM
My parents want to do Alaska this summer for their 40th anniversary. Let me know after the trip what you thought.

bitchyteacher
January 30th, 2009, 11:35 PM
WHOO HOO, EUROPE! Prepare thyself for this summer's arrival of the UGLY AMERICANS! PAR-TAY!!! \:D/

Dagobert II
February 1st, 2009, 6:30 PM
In the mid 70's I took the Army's all expenses paid, three year tour of Germany. During that time I took my own excursions to Rome and Egypt.

Recently I've been with the wife and kids to Paris and London.

I'd like to get back to Germany to see a few places that were not available to tourists when I was there and I'd also like to visit Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland.

Scarlett
February 1st, 2009, 7:07 PM
I LOVED our 2 year army paid tour to Germany. I hope we go back...I could happily live there forever.

Rick
February 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
We like Northern California and since my son can get us sweet airline deals, next Thursday, we will fly to Sanfrancisco, get a car and drive to Eureka, CA, stay at the Scottfield Executive Hotel (http://www.hotels.com/property.do?mtnHotelID=303527) and visit the Redwood National Park area for a couple of days, and just breathe the fresh northern California Pacific air for a couple of days. The on the 14th, we will head south, visit our friends who own a small vineyard, then fly home on the 15th.

Not a bad anniversary weekend trip.

mainer
February 3rd, 2009, 7:27 PM
Happy anniversary! Sounds like a great trip.

I'm jealous....I'll be grading essays. (-|

Rick
February 3rd, 2009, 8:01 PM
Thanks!

I told her the plans tonight and she said that she was real excited about it. Especially since I told her that I think we should take the Pacific Coast Highway from Eureka to wherever we have to turn to get to Petaluma. It'll take longer, but if the roads haven't washed away or burnt up, it will be amazing. We went on that once south from San Francisco to Carmel and Big Sur and really enjoyed it.

In 27 years, we have never done anything like this. We rarely take vacations, not even weekends away where it didn't involve kids. We have always been content just staying home, especially where we live now. But thought we should take advantage of the opportunity with our son working for an airline.

the pink pastry
February 3rd, 2009, 8:53 PM
You should drive on up into Oregon, some of the scenery is truly breathtaking. I was stationed at Fort Lewis and we were all over the Pacific coast. Seattle is really awesome too... so awesome that my four sons decided to stay when we moved backed to Texas. I can't think of any place on earth that rivals it, you have 365 days of things to do out there... snowtubing is the bomb!!!!! Just sucks having to walk back up the mountain LOL.

Rick
February 3rd, 2009, 8:57 PM
I would like to, but we only have the weekend.

the pink pastry
February 3rd, 2009, 9:12 PM
I saw a mention of vineyards.. if you find some good California Reisling... bring me some please LOL.

Scarlett
February 3rd, 2009, 9:13 PM
I saw a mention of vineyards.. if you find some good California Reisling... bring me some please LOL.

Oh oh oh oh oh....the friendly moderator wants some of THAT!!!!!! :x: :ymhug: ;;) ;) :x: :x:

Rick
February 3rd, 2009, 9:40 PM
This is their website. http://www.ridgewayfamilyvineyards.com/ The dog closest to them is the one that my wife bred and we delivered her to them since it was winter. That is how we met back in 2002.

More about their wine. http://www.princeofpinot.com/winery/414/

When we first went there, they were living in town with her father. Before we left, (in a rental car that he provided, since it was winter and the airlines wouldn't fly a dog), he told us that we would stay at the "farm house" I was fully expecting to instead stay in a hotel because we did not know what to expect of a "farm house." So he led us to the place, tossed us the keys, gave us the gate code and showed us around the place. The pictures attached are of the place.

We have stayed in touch ever since. Very nice people.

the pink pastry
February 3rd, 2009, 9:57 PM
My goodness, I need a farm house like that one. I'm such a hick, I was thinking a little shack with a wood stove out on the back 40. Maybe even with a few Beverly Hillbillies! LOL

SunDevil
February 5th, 2009, 8:15 PM
We have a house overseas and our house here in TX and when we are overseas we visit Dubai a lot. I love it! We were hoping to hit Greece this April but doesn't look like husband's work schedule will allow for it so we'll have to put that off until the work schedule slows down.

Army Sarge
February 6th, 2009, 7:59 AM
We have a house overseas and our house here in TX and when we are overseas we visit Dubai a lot. I love it! We were hoping to hit Greece this April but doesn't look like husband's work schedule will allow for it so we'll have to put that off until the work schedule slows down.

Sundevil,

When was the last time you were in Dubai? I've been there a few times for conferences and meetings...just had a big conference there last month. You know the Dubai shopping festival is on now right?

Man, the gold souk, the spice souk, the Karama...now I wanna go back.

Did you ever get a chance to do the indoor skiing at the mall of the Emirates?

SunDevil
February 6th, 2009, 8:18 AM

Sundevil,

When was the last time you were in Dubai? I've been there a few times for conferences and meetings...just had a big conference there last month. You know the Dubai shopping festival is on now right?

Man, the gold souk, the spice souk, the Karama...now I wanna go back.

Did you ever get a chance to do the indoor skiing at the mall of the Emirates?
Sarge,
I was last there in November. It's killing me that the shopping festival is going on right now and I'm not there doing my part. :)) I'll be back in the country the second week of March but I'm not sure how long the festival goes for.

I have not skied yet at the Emirates but would love to try it. I've seen it from the viewing area and could not get my head around the fact that I was watching people ski while I was standing there in capris. The last time I was there we went to the new Aquarium in the Dubai mall that just opened up. Incredible. In March we are hoping to attend Cirque De Solel in the IBN Battuta mall, which I have not been to that mall yet but have heard it's incredible.

YSkool?
February 8th, 2009, 7:26 PM
SunDevil,

Did you get your place painted? (If you are who you I think you are, this will make sense..otherwise, please disregard.)
Has our friend moved from Washington, yet?

SunDevil
February 8th, 2009, 9:39 PM
SunDevil,

Did you get your place painted? (If you are who you I think you are, this will make sense..otherwise, please disregard.)
Has our friend moved from Washington, yet?
Why did I read that as, "Did you get your face painted?" :))

PM me. :-?

Deb
February 10th, 2009, 5:11 PM
I got to spend 2 years in England back in 79 to 81 with the Air Force. Got to see quite a bit of London and England. One time took a tour from the rec center at the base, and the idiot who was acting as the "leader" from the base decide to leave London about 15 minutes early and left me there in London. I asked one of the other bus drivers where the bus was that was to go to Lakenheath AFB, and he said it just left, but he was going to within 2-3 miles of Lakenheath and would be glad to take me that far. Believe me, I was glad for the ride. When lunch Monday came around, I was in the rec center raising hell because the idiot left me in London. I got a refund on the trip--the "leader" had to pay for my trip. Like I told the jerk, he had no business leaving early without doing a head count.

skullitor
February 10th, 2009, 9:56 PM
:-C Scarlett Please come to Boston.We're the coolest people in the country. :ymhug:

Scarlett
February 10th, 2009, 9:59 PM
Funny you would say that Skully...I will be in Boston this summer. For the first time ever. Looking forward to it. Got myself into a grant that is paying for it.
:-BD
Can't wait!

skullitor
February 10th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Funny you would say that Skully...I will be in Boston this summer. For the first time ever. Looking forward to it. Got myself into a grant that is paying for it.
:-BD
Can't wait!
Get a hold of me.I'll give you my cell number. :ymhug: Then you can go home to texas and tell everyone YOU had dinner with SAINT SKULLITOR ^:)^

Scarlett
February 10th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Ohh, never fear, you are on my list of tourist attractions. July 13. Be prepared..lol. :bad:

Night Owl
February 11th, 2009, 8:05 AM
:-C Scarlett Please come to Boston.We're the coolest people in the country. :ymhug:

Are you a Yankees fan???? :bringit

THEMEANOGRE
February 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I thought the Boston team was the Red Sox.

King_of_kings
February 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Wait now Scarlett, your spending part of the summer with him??? Almost feel like Im being cheated on here =(( lol....

Night Owl
February 11th, 2009, 1:07 PM
I thought the Boston team was the Red Sox.

They are, but how could I resist taking a shot at the skullman!!!!! :2ban

skullitor
February 11th, 2009, 8:37 PM

Are you a Yankees fan???? :bringit

X( HELL NO!!! X( :ymsick: :cussing :cussing BOSTON RED SOX!!! :-BD

skullitor
February 11th, 2009, 8:40 PM
Wait now Scarlett, your spending part of the summer with him??? Almost feel like Im being cheated on here =(( lol....

Sorry but a SAINT is above a King!!! =)) :)) ^:)^

King_of_kings
February 13th, 2009, 6:34 PM
True a Saint in Theory is higher than a king, but a KING is higher then a saint on the forums :o) :o)

Scarlett
February 13th, 2009, 8:37 PM
Scarlett trumps you both. Silly boys... \M/

(And if you wonder why, it is just because I say so.)

mainer
February 13th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Scarlett...you are going to looooove Boston. My favorite city!

Scarlett
February 14th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I am so excited. I have never been but as a history geek, I can't wait. Best part is, I bagged a free trip! :-BD

King_of_kings
February 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Scarlett baby, I was wondering, are these trips thru the school, or thru something else?

God I'd love to be able to take those type of trips, especially the one you did last year, but I dont think I could handle taking all those High Schoolers with me... lol you are a brave woman my love ^:)^

Scarlett
February 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM
The Boston one is a group of teachers. We are part of the "Teaching American History" grant. (This is the site that explains what that is.)
http://staffweb.esc12.net/jtapp/default.html
This summer we go to Boston for a week, next summer is Philly, and the following summer we go to Gettysburg and that area.

The other ones are through EF Tours. The kids pay for their own trip, I just get to go along. The secret to loving to travel as much as I do is to find ways to do it for free. And as far as going with kiddos...the kids that can go, the ones who have parents willing to shell out $3000, are not kids who are behavior problems. It is a fantastic time for all! :-BD

Deb
February 14th, 2009, 5:37 PM
And as far as going with kiddos...the kids that can go, the ones who have parents willing to shell out $3000, are not kids who are behavior problems. It is a fantastic time for all! :-BD

Those types of kids are probably a pleasure to be around and don't give people problems. The problem kids are the ones who make it bad for everybody. The problem kids are the one's I seem to see a lot of. I try to stay neutral about the kids till I get to know them, but the bad one's make it hard for me to trust any of them. And the parents don't help much when they are troublemaker's like their kids are.

skullitor
February 14th, 2009, 8:53 PM
:busted What is it Scarlett, A Bus tour? Or Convention type trip? :-?

Scarlett
February 14th, 2009, 9:21 PM
To Boston?
No, it is a flight...haha. BUS TOUR? Are you insane? I don't like people enough to spend THAT much time with them. And conventions..ugh...I hate meetings. I don't think there is an adult in the world who is worse than I am at sitting still and quiet for that long.
So no, it is neither. It is a trip, and some tours, and a lot of free time...and it is a trip with none of my relatives and children, so it is a win win for ME!

skullitor
February 14th, 2009, 9:27 PM
To Boston?
No, it is a flight...haha. BUS TOUR? Are you insane? I don't like people enough to spend THAT much time with them. And conventions..ugh...I hate meetings. I don't think there is an adult in the world who is worse than I am at sitting still and quiet for that long.
So no, it is neither. It is a trip, and some tours, and a lot of free time...and it is a trip with none of my relatives and children, so it is a win win for ME!

I thought it maybe a school type Bus tour where YOU fly into Boston (Logan Int.Airport) then board your charter bus, until you fly home. L-)

Scarlett
February 14th, 2009, 9:42 PM
Ohhh hell no. I would rather slit my throat. :-Q

skullitor
February 15th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Ohhh hell no. I would rather slit my throat. :-Q
:)) =)) You are so funny!!! LMFAO